Travel Guide to Germany from Sixt rent a car

Sixt has provided this guide to provide our customers with a bit of information about travelling in Germany. The guide is split into 4 parts and will give you some important tips to know before you start your trip.




travel guide in germany


Anti-social behaviour is not tolerated in Germany, make sure that you respect local laws and customs.


Be aware of pick pockets and bag snatching particularly in busy city centres and at airports, railway stations and Christmas markets. Make sure that you keep all of your luggage and bags that you have with you at all times. If your passport has been stolen, you will need to go to the nearest police station and get a police report.


In early 2014, Berlin authorities reported a continued rise in incidents of pickpocketing. Incidents of drink spiking at night clubs, have been known to occur. It is important that you do not accept drinks from strangers or leave drinks unattended. Be sure to stay in the company of people you know, particularly in bars and nightclubs.


There are many cyclists and cycle paths in Germany located between the pedestrian footpath and the road. You should avoid walking on these as cyclists can travel at speed and they have right of way. Bicycles also have the right of way over vehicles turning into side streets.


If you need to contact the emergency services call 112.


In 2012 there were 3601 road deaths in Germany which means that there were 4.4 road deaths per 100,000 people. This compares to 2.8 road deaths per 100,000 people in the UK in 2012.


There have been known cases where British nationals have been arrested for possessing counterfeit currency. Avoid changing money anywhere other than banks or legitimate bureaux de change. 

Local laws

If you are driving in Germany, make sure that you have your full driver’s licence and all your insurance documents on you at all time.


There is an environmental zone (umweltzone) in some inner city centres. Only vehicles meeting specific exhaust emission standards are allowed to enter the zone.


Make sure you carry your passport with you at all times as police can ask to see your identification at any time.


It is illegal to cross German pedestrian crossings when the red pedestrian light is on. Offenders risk a fine and payment of all costs in the event of an accident.



Make sure that you take out extensive travel and medical insurance.


You should make sure that you contact your GP about 8 weeks before your trip to check if you need any vaccinations or preventive measures.


You can find out country specific advice and information at the National Travel Health Network and Centre and you can also find out about lots of medical information abroad at NHS Choices.


You can get a European Health Insurance card (EHIC) for free, before you leave the UK. This is not a substitute for medical and travel insurance but it will mean that you can receive state provided medical treatment in case you needed it.


If you don’t have your EHIC with you on holiday or you’ve lost it, you can call the Department of Health Overseas Healthcare Team on (+44 191 218 1999) and they can provide you with a Provisional Replacement Certificate.


The EHIC does not cover certain things such as medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment, or non-urgent treatment. So make sure that you have adequate medical insurance to cover your stay and enough funds in case you need to pay for any medical treatment or repatriation. If you require medical assistance and you are referred to a medical centre for treatment you should contact your insurance company.


Entry Requirements

As long as your passport is valid you will be allowed to stay in Germany for a period of up to 3 months.


UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Germany. British citizens do not need a visa to travel to Germany. If you hold a different type of British nationality then you will need to check with the German embassy to see what is required.


If you are planning to stay in Germany to work or study then you will need to register with the authorities (Einwohnermeldeamt) within 3 months or arrival.


If you are planning to work in Germany and you want to find out more information about employment regulations then you should visit the German Embassy website.




* Please note: All content was correct at the time of publication.