For those who love history, no trip to Crete would be complete without a visit to the Heraklion Archaeological Museum. The exhibits on offer here show off more than 5,000 years' worth of the island's history, and there's a particular focus on items from the Minoan era.
Distance to Heraklion Archaeological Museum
- From Heraklion Airport: 2.4 miles, about 14 minutes
- From Pancritio Stadium (other side of Heraklion): 3 miles, about 18 minutes
If you're on holiday with the kids, it's a great idea to treat them to a top water park experience so that they can have fun and splash around while you relax with a book or even a cocktail. At the Watercity Waterpark in Anopolis, you can make the most of a wave pool, a jacuzzi and other fun features.
Distance to Watercity Waterpark
- From Heraklion Airport: 7.14 miles, about 12 minutes
- From Heraklion city centre: 8.8 miles, about 18 minutes
For a more hands-on experience of Crete's rich and fascinating history, the Palace of Knossos is a great place to visit. The exhibits on offer here cover all sorts of fact and mythology, including the famous tale of the Minotaur and what life was like during ancient times.
Distance to the Palace of Knossos
- From Heraklion Airport: 4.4 miles, about 13 minutes
- From Heraklion city centre: 3.4 miles, about 17 minutes