One of Madrid's most iconic meeting places is the San Miguel Market, which is the only traditional iron market structure still standing in the city. It offers a huge variety of traditional Spanish cuisine, including tapas, and also hosts regular art exhibitions. By night it becomes a lively social hub, with several wine bars within its perimeters. It can be easily accessed from the following transport hubs.
DISTANCE TO SAN MIGUEL MARKET
- From Madrid-Barajas Airport: 14.2 miles, about 26 minutes
- From Atoclia Station: 2 miles, about 16 minutes
- From Chamartin Station: 11.5 miles, about 25 minutes
For a relaxing day trip in your rental car, take a drive out to the nearby village of Aranjuez. Here you can explore the magnificent Royal Palace, which was built as a summer residence for the Spanish Royal Family. The Palace is set within several landscaped gardens which include promenades, water features and an impressive variety of plants and flowers. Driving distances from Madrid are as follows.
DISTANCE TO ARANJUEZ
- From Madrid-Barajas Airport: 34.9 miles, about 38 minutes
- From Atocha Station: 29.4 miles, about 39 minutes
- From Chamartin Station: 34.2 miles, about 40 minutes
Alternatively, head north west to the historical monastery at El Escorial, in the foothills of the mountains. Built in the 14th Century, the monastery is the largest Spanish Renaissance building, with a total of 4,000 rooms! It is surrounded by some attractive courtyards and gardens. From here you can also easily take in the beauty of the surrounding countryside. You can drive to El Escorial from the following major locations in Madrid.
DISTANCE TO EL ESCORIAL
- From Madrid-Barajas Airport: 44.6 miles, about 50 minutes
- From Atocha Station: 38.5 miles, about 52 minutes
- From Chamartin Station: 35.8 miles, about 48 minutes
If you're in Madrid on business, it's likely you'll be visiting the Feria De Madrid. This state-of-the-art exhibition venue is one of the best-known and most well-equipped in Europe, featuring a huge exhibition space, two conference centres and a massive 14,000 parking spaces! The Feria De Madrid plays host each year to major events in the worlds of business, fashion and entertainment, and is the reason for much of the city's international business tourism. It can easily be reached from Madrid's major transport centres.
DISTANCE TO FERIA DE MADRID
- From Madrid-Barajas Airport: 3.9 miles, about 6 minutes
- From Atocha Station: 10.8 miles, about 20 minutes
- From Chamartin Station: 5.7 miles, about 10 minutes