Where driving is concerned, we all think of ourselves as real pros. However, when driving a van or even a Sixt truck, some tips may not go amiss.
For novices, driving a larger commercial vehicle can be quite strange. The vehicles are larger and wider, starting and stopping the vehicle is different to that of a passenger vehicle, and in addition driving through bends can generate G-forces that affect the load. If the load is not sufficiently well secured, it can move or topple over, roll backwards and forwards or even fall off.
1. TIMING. Allow enough time and ask the Sixt members of staff to explain how to operate the Sixt truck or van.
2. WARNING. As a Sixt truck driver, please observe lane and route restrictions as well as speed limits. Be aware of the longer length of your van or truck when changing lanes – always remember that there are blind spots.
3. DRIVING. Drive a few trial rounds around a car park in a quieter area.
4. SIZE. Always bear the larger dimensions of your van or truck in mind – in particular height and width. This is particularly important when driving through underpasses, narrow roads etc.
5. DISTANCE. Keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front, as vans and trucks require a longer braking distance.
6. SPEED. Please take care when driving through bends and reduce your speed.
7. PARKING. lease allow a third person to help with hand signals. Important note: Make sure you agree on hand signals in advance in order to avoid confusion and use your wing mirrors. This is particularly important when turning, parking and reversing.
8. ENVIRONMENT. lease turn the engine off whenever feasible.
Fuelling with diesel can cause air bubbles to be generated. A tank showing full at the pump may be misleading information. After fully filling the tank, wait 30 seconds and then re-insert the dispenser into the tank nozzle. In this way, you save yourself possible extra costs when the vehicle is re-fuelled fully by the Sixt location.
Sixt also offers you immediate support in the event of a vehicle breakdown or accident. Simply call us +44 (0) 207 0 188233* – we are here for you 24/7.
Thanks to the fast and professional help by Sixt’s Emergency Service you only have to do the following in the event of an accident:
Please accelerate gently when driving your rental van. This will also help you not to have to break so hard or frequently.
Sometimes when in a rush, driving downhill or listening to music that is too loud, it is possible that you will briefly exceed the speed limit. Avoid distractions – you will not get to your destination any faster.
Please always drive with other road users and yourself in mind. Keep to speed limits in towns and cities as well as in the country. Stay in third gear, when driving over 30mph.
Our contribution to you being an eco-manager:
We have small box vans, versatile delivery vans, removal vans or trucks up to 3.5t permissible total weight. With us you will be able to collect an appropriate Sixt rental truck from one of our locations for any imaginable venture. You can book a van or truck simply and easily online or by phone.
Call us and we will be happy to help you: +44 (0) 207 0 188233*