Driving in the Netherlands varies from the UK so use this Sixt guide for advice and tips to ensure that you have a safe and pleasant journey.
Speed Limits in the Netherlands
Here are the legal speed limits for driving in the Netherlands:
|Built-up residential areas||50 km/h|
|Outside built-up areas||80-100 km/h|
Dutch Driving Rules and Regulations
- In Holland remember that you have to drive on the right and overtake on the left-hand side of the road.
- The minimum age of a UK licence holder is 18.
- Third-party motor insurance is compulsory in Holland.
- Seat belts are compulsory for front and rear seat occupants if fitted.
- If you are caught drinking and driving in Holland, be warned that if the level of alcohol in your bloodstream is over 0.05 per cent you will face a penalty which could mean you will be fined, have your licence withdrawn or even face imprisonment. There is a lower limit of 0.02 per cent which applies to new drivers up to the age of 24. In some cases, a blood test will be necessary after a breath test.
- You can face on the spot fines if you park illegally, the police can impose and collect on the spot fines or tow the vehicle away. Vehicles can also be confiscated in the case of excessive speeding and drink driving.
- Buses have right of way when leaving bus stops in built-up areas.
- Mobile telephones may only be used with a hands-free system whilst driving in the Netherlands. Even holding a mobile in a moving vehicle is considered an offence.
What to Bring Along
Here are the compulsory documents and equipment to carry:
- Warning triangle or hazard warning lights must be used in case of an accident or breakdown (recommended that warning triangle always be carried).
- A driving licence
- Car registration papers
- Insurance documents
Rely on Sixt for your car hire needs in the Netherlands
Sixt car rental has a number of branches scattered all over the country including all the major cities of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht. Should you need further assistance or driving equipment such as Sat Nav systems, baby seats, or additional insurance, our well trained and friendly staff will be there to help.