Driving in Iceland can be different from driving in the UK so it’s important to make sure that you know some rules of the road before you travel there. Sixt has provided a guide below with some useful driving tips for our customers to read through and understand before your trip.
Speed Limits in Iceland
An important factor to consider are the different speed limits when driving in Iceland. This is quite essential, for violating these traffic laws will result in an on-the-spot fine:
|Urban areas||50 km/h|
|Unpaved Roads||80 km/h|
|Rural Areas||90 km/h|
Iceland Driving Rules and Regulations
- Drive on the right-hand side of the road and overtake on the left.
- Drivers and all passengers are required to wear seat belts.
- Children under 3 measuring less than 150cm must be seated in an appropriate child seat for their size.
- The use of mobile phones whilst driving in Iceland is not allowed unless you have a hands free system.
- Car headlights must be switched on at all times, day or night, when driving in Iceland.
- It is against the law to drive outside of marked roads and tracks.
- Special warning signs indicate possible danger, such as sharp bends, as there is no sign to reduce speed, please drive carefully, and choose appropriate speed according to road and weather conditions.
- No right turns are allowed at red lights.
- At roundabouts right-of-way goes to the driver in the inside lane.
What to Bring Along
Here are the compulsory documents and equipment to carry:
- Warning triangle or hazard warning lights must be used in case of an accident or breakdown (recommended that warning triangle always be carried).
- A driving licence
- Car registration papers
- Insurance documents
Rely on Sixt for your car hire needs in Iceland
A driving holiday in Iceland can be a magical experience, and there is no better way to see it all than by car. Sixt’s premium and reliable vehicle rental services are available to you in Iceland at Reykjavik, including a station at Keflavik Airport, and also in Reykjanesbaer. Should you need further advice or driving equipment such as Sat Navs, child seats, or additional protection and insurance, our well trained and friendly staff will be there to help!