Our Driving Tips series gives you the need-to-know advice for driving abroad!
Driving in Cyprus varies from the UK so in order for you to travel safely Sixt recommends that you look at our guide for driving tips and advice.
Speed Limits in Cyprus
These are the standard legal limits when driving in Cyprus, but pay attention to road signs as they may vary depending on the town or region.
|In Urban Areas||50 / 65 km/h|
|On open roads||80 km/h|
|Motorways / Highways||100 km/h|
Cyprus Driving Rules and Regulations
Here are some rules and driving tips when driving in Cyprus that you need to know of before you start your journey:
- In Cyprus, they drive on the left-hand side of the road and overtake on the right.
- Wearing of seat belts is compulsory for front and rear seat occupants.
- Children under five cannot travel as a front seat passenger. Children over five and under ten must use a suitable child restraint system.
- Eating and drinking whilst driving is prohibited.
- The maximum legal level of alcohol in the blood is 0.049 per cent. Persons suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol (0.05 per cent and over) may be subjected to a blood test.
- Vehicle lights must be used between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise. Spotlights are prohibited.
- Smoking in a car with a person present that is under 16 years is prohibited; a fine is imposed for anyone who does not comply.
- Speaking on a mobile phone whilst driving is a serious offence.
- All national driving licences are accepted and the minimum age for driving is 18 years of age.
- LPG is not available. Unleaded petrol (95 and 98) and diesel is available. There is no leaded petrol (a lead substitute additive is available) and it is forbidden to carry petrol in a can.
- It is prohibited to use the horn between 2200 and 0600 hours, and in the vicinity of hospitals.
- Spiked tyres and snow chains are permitted on mountain roads in winter.
What to Bring Along
- Driving Licence
- Proof of Insurance
- Two warning triangles are compulsory
- Vehicle registration information
- A GPS and road map of the area that you are driving
incan be extremely helpful
Rely on SIXT car hire for your driving trip to Cyprus
When travelling to Cyprus for a family holiday, road trip or weekend getaway, a reliable SIXT rental can be the perfect mode of transport to get you around the island and its many destinations. Should you have any more questions about the rules of the road in Cyprus, our branch staff will be happy to help! You can find us in all major cities, airports, and transport hubs, with branches at Paphos, Larnaca, Limassol and more.