Car Hire Portugal
Why rent with Sixt?
- 4,000+ car rental locations worldwide
- Low cost car hire in Portugal
- Car Hire in Portugal and worldwide
- Car hire in over 100 countries
- 180,000+ vehicles in our fleet
- 50,000+ premium rental vehicles
- 5th largest global car rental company
Sixt Car Rental in Portugal
Other options include convertibles or 4x4s and vans. Extra features can be added to your car rental package, such as cover for additional drivers and unlimited mileage. Just ask Sixt before you depart to find out what deals and extras are available with car hire in Portugal.
Driving Laws in Portugal
Portugal has the usual driving rules and regulations you would expect from a western European country. Here are some of the main ones:
- In Portugal, cars drive on the right hand side of the road
- It is obligatory to wear a seatbelt in the car at all times
- There are four speed limits to adhere to in Portugal: 31mph (50kmph) in built-up areas, 55mph (90kmph) or 62mph (100kmph) in areas outside cities and 74mph (120kmph) when driving on motorways
- Always carry a form of photographic ID when travelling in Portugal
Where to drive your car rental in Portugal
Driving a car hire in Portugal is normally easy and stress-free. The roads and motorways are generally in very good condition thanks to an extensive road-building program in recent decades. Most of the main roads in Portugal are to be found on the eastern side of the country, linking the main coastal cities. If you are picking up your car rental in Lisbon, you can either take the A2 motorway south to the Faro in the Algarve, or take the A1 motorway to Porto and the north of Portugal. Bear in mind that a number of roads in Portugal require a toll fee, so check before you travel to make sure you have enough spare change to pay!