Defensive driving is a practice that enables a driver to lower their risks of being involved in a road accident. By driving defensively you will be more of aware of other road users and pedestrians and anticipate potential dangers early. Sixt wants to openly encourage all of our drivers to use defensive driving methods. To find out more about defensive driving read these tips below.
- Always follow speed limits.
- Make sure that all passengers in your car are correctly using their seatbelts or child restraints before you start every journey.
- Leave plenty of room between your car and the car in front of you.
- Lower your speed, particularly when travelling during difficult weather conditions and at night.
- Concentrate on your driving at all times and be aware of pedestrians and other vehicles.
- Never drive if you are feeling sleepy or you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Check your mirrors regularly.
- Expect and anticipate the unexpected.
- Assume that other drivers will go through red lights and stop signs and prepare to react to these situations.
- Always follow the rules of the road, give way when necessary and be considerate to other drivers.
- Always be aware of what is on your left your, your right and behind you.
- Be aware of what is ahead of you, not just the car in front but what is in front of that.
- This can lead to you anticipating any dangers that lay ahead.
- Watch out for parked cars on the side of the road.
- They could pull out in front of you unexpectedly.
By following these defensive driving rules you could avoid unnecessary road traffic accidents.